RED VELVET CAKE


I am very happy to announce that we, my hubby and me, just completed 6 years of wonderful happy marriage, Masha allah. Unsure of whether I'll be able to bake a cake or not, being busy with kids at home, some how I managed to do it. To celebrate, I chose to bake Red velvet cake... This super trendy cake never really impressed me even in a least possible way, as it was just a cake with deep red color attained by adding food color, despite that I opted to try it at home for at-least once and thanks to all those drool-worthy pictures floating over the internet that succeeded to push me to try at home.

And guess what happened! I made it three times in 10 days... It wasn't just different in appearance, but also unique in taste. The cream cheese frosting really goes very well the chocolate tasting cake and its the frosting that plays a major role in the unique taste of the cake. Perfect for my kind of taste buds...

As I was running in short of frosting, I had some already prepared Italian butter cream sitting in my freezer, which I used up to pipe flowers on the cake. And yes, the flowers were decorated on this cake to make it look romantic, as that is how exactly I wanted my cake to like for this day... I am not posting the recipe for meringue butter-cream as it is lengthy and making it is quite tricky and I do not recommend you to use my cream cheese frosting recipe for piping flowers. So if you want these kind of pipe-able flowers, you can use any kind of frosting that is suitable for this project. Or you can use any other cream cheese frosting recipe as well. My cream cheese frosting does not use butter and so it is not stable enough for flowers. You can use whipped cream for it too.

Over to the recipe,
Ingredients:

For the cake:

  • Flour- 2 cups
  • Cocoa powder- 2 tbsp
  • Salt- 1/8 tsp
  • Sugar- 1 1/2 cups
  • Butter milk- 1 cup (you can add 2 tsp vinegar or lime juice to 1 cup milk and keep for 10 minutes, milk turns buttermilk)
  • Red food color, liquid- 2 tsp
  • Butter- 100 gms
  • Vinegar- 1 tsp
  • Baking soda- 1 tsp

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

  • Hung curd- 1 cup
  • Whipping cream- 2 cups
  • Icing sugar- 1/2 cup or more
  • Vanilla essence- 1 tsp

Method:

For the cake:
  • Preheat oven to 175 degree celcius.
  • Sift flour, cocoa powder and salt. Keep aside.
  • Cream butter using an electric beater. 
  • Add Sugar and beat well.
  • Alternately add 1/3 rd part of sifted flour-cocoa mixture and half quantity butter-milk, finishing with flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
  • Add red color. 
  • Add vanilla essence.
  • Beat well.
  • In a small bowl, add baking soda and add vinegar to it. This mixture will fizz. And so be quick and add the vinegar mix to the cake batter immediately.
  • Mix everything until well combined.
  • Transfer the cake batter to a greased and slightly floured cake tin. 
  • Bake for about 30 minutes or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Cool the cake completely before you do the frosting.

For the frosting:

  • Beat cream well till stiff peaks form.
  •  Add the hung curd and icing sugar and beat till smooth.
Assembling:
  • Cut the cake into three equal slices. 
  • Spread 1/4 th of the frosting on one slice evenly.
  • Place the next slice and repeat the process.
  • Apply the frosting all over the cake.
  • To decorate easily you add some left over cake crumbs to the top and sides of the cake.


Linking this post to Haffas Anniversary Cakes and Sweets and Monus Announcement page













full scoops give away


Comments

  1. The cake looks amazing..love the texture of the cake and step by step representation.I got so many ideas about different cake flavours after reading this post..keep posting such informative post. And if you want to explore more such cakes then visit us at 1800giftportal..we provide online cakes & gifts delivery at your doorstep
    international cake delivery to Germany
    international cake delivery to Canada
    send cake online
    baby shower gifts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kunafa

chatti pathiri... layered pancakes with chicken filling & a happy news

Vanilla Caramel Chocolate Cake with Dulce de leche (DDL) frosting and ganache